Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins/Loaf

Yesterday, I had to run to the grocery store to pick up a few items for supper and, as luck should have it, there were bananas sitting on a discount shelf just waiting for me. Now bananas are not terribly expensive, but I will take the 50% discount if I can get it for good quality ingredients.  I don’t often get to the grocery store during the day so it is a treat when I can get things like this to make yet another household favourite.
There are a couple of things that I really like about this recipe: it can be done with the least amount of dishes possible, I normally have everything on hand to make them and there is still room to have some fun with the ingredients.  What is listed below is what I “normally” make, but you can feel free to add nuts (e.g. walnuts, or pecans) or if you want to be a little more healthy use whole wheat flour or throw in a little ground flax or wheat bran/germ to bring up the fibre. I like to use milk chocolate chip rather than semi-sweet as I think they are just a little more yummy but you can leave them out all together.  I will admit that I at one time bought a large bag of milk chocolate chips but started eating them right out of the bag so now I just buy the smaller bags to maintain portion control!  No matter what these are a tasty treat.  The original recipe from the “Simply Recipes” website did not use chocolate chips and used more sugar, also I rarely make just one batch so what is below is doubled. They freeze really well.  You can half the recipe if you only have 3-4 bananas on hand. Also, I am sure everyone knows to do this, but I like to use and ice cream scoop to measure out my muffins - and I get 24 every time! 
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins/Loaf
6-8
Ripe bananas
2/3 cup
Melted butter
1 ½ cup
Sugar
2
Eggs beaten
1 tsp
Vanilla
1 tsp
Baking soda
Pinch
Salt
3 cups
Flour
270 g
Milk chocolate chips


Pre-heat oven to 350F.  In a large bowl, mash bananas. Mix in butter and stir until well mixed.   Add sugar, egg and vanilla. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture, and mix in.  Add flour, and mix until blended but do not beat until fluffy.  Finally, mix in chocolate chips.
For Muffins 24 muffins – bake for 20-25 minutes
For 2 Loaves – bake for 1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment