Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2011

French Toast Stuffed with Maple Cream Cheese and Strawberries

French Toast Stuffed with Maple Cream Cheese and Strawberries


YUMMY!


Slicing the bread to make a cream cheese pocket














This weekend we are celebrating an early Christmas with Geoff’s children.  Unlike some Step-parents, I enjoy spending time with my s’kids. I especially like being able to try out new recipes and sharing with them.  Over the years, they have begun to request particular recipes and this is one that seems to need to be made on special occasions – which seems to be every time that we are together.
Normally, I like to give credit to my sources or inspiration for recipes but, honestly, I have been making this for so long that I do not remember where it came from.  I am sure that I did not create this out of thin air, I am sure that I am not that creative. It may have been a cookbook, TV Show, menu item, who knows!  Where ever the source this has been a family favorite for a very long time.
Stuffed and ready for the egg dip
This year, I tried to make note of what I do as I have been operating on muscle memory for so long.  Like all of my recipes, you can play with the amounts and proportions for the tastes of those who are in your home.  My disclaimer is that this is probably not the most “heart smarty” dish you will produce in your kitchen but I believe there are times when you need to just enjoy all the delights of the season...well actually, the delights of life.  Make this any day and enjoy!




 

1
French loaf (not a baguette the larger loaf but you can use other loafs of bread as long as not sliced)
1 pkg
Cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tbsp
Maple syrup (you can use maple syrup like product but I really recommend real maple syrup – go for the real thing)
¼ tsp
Cinnamon
12-15
Strawberries, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
8
Eggs
¼ cup
Milk

Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp
Butter


In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, maple syrup and cinnamon until well blended.
Here they are in the frying pan ready to be flipped
Slice bread into approximately 1 ½ inch pieces; slice each piece again, leaving the one end attached. Sort of like a butterfly so that you are able to open the slice enough to be able to spread a layer of cream cheese mixture on both sides.  Place a layer of strawberries in between the layers of cream cheese.
Wisk eggs, milk and salt and pepper.
Melt butter in a large frying pan on a medium high heat.  Dip bread in to the egg mixture and fry (3-4 at a time) until golden brown.
Serve with maple syrup, and, in my opinion, bacon or sausages.
All ready to enjoy!











ENJOY!








1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my kind of Christmas breakfast Jo Ann. If we don't make them next week... Can I request them for the next time we are in Ontario? Love you

    ReplyDelete