Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sassy Spicy Salsa

I love salsa...and the chips!  It is probably one of the easiest things to make and I normally have all the basic ingredients in the house to pull it together: tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, onion and a few spices.
Salsa is excellent not just on chips but also spread some on grilled chicken, a burger or add it to some rice for a Mexican flare! Really, just use your imagination and go with it! And did I mention the chips?? Love the chips!
This year, I have been making some preserves and goodies from my kitchen for friends and family.  I love to do this, puttering in the kitchen is a total Zen experience for me. I get into a groove and enjoy tasting the fruits of my labour.
Salsa thickening in the pot!
The first time I made salsa I used the Companys Coming Preserves book.  I have modified 2 of the recipes from that book and came up with my own version that is below.  Just remember to make sure your bottles are well sterilized before putting the salsa in, you don’t want it to go bad before you get to enjoy.  You will need about 10-12 large bottles for this.
4 cans
Diced Tomatoes (19oz)
2 med
Onions, diced
1 large
Green pepper, diced
1 large
Red pepper, diced
3-4
Jalapenos, finely diced (you can add more to your own taste)
1 can
Corn (do not strain, add juice
1 can
Tomato paste (5.5 oz)
¾ cup
White vinegar
¼ cup
Brown sugar
1 tbsp
Coarse salt
1 tsp
Minced garlic
2 tbsp
Chili powder
1 tsp
Cumin

Pepper to taste
2 tbsp
Coriander


Ready for friends, family or your own table!
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil uncovered over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Boil gently for 60 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency
Close to the end of the cooking, taste to see if you will need to add more jalapenos or seasoning.
Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving ¼ inch to the top. Seal.   
ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment