Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

Crispy Mushroom Wontons

2012 has arrived and I am thrilled to report that the holiday season has come and gone without drama.  It has been a wonderful time spent with family and friends.  This year for most of the holidays, I relied on family favourites to keep life easy. New Years Eve, however, I did decide to try something new as I had my very small deep fryer filled.  I do not normally have fat in the deep fryer as my favourite way to eat something that delightful is in a restaurant.  However, as per the practice my cousins and I got together on Boxing Day for hot turkey sandwiches and fries so I wanted to take advantage of the resource while it was available. 
These Mushroom Wontons are wonderful.  I have altered a version from Food and Drink magazine, Holiday 2008. You can add any number of variations to this. When I make them again I think I will add chopped water chestnuts, and change up the type of mushrooms or even replace them with some ground pork.
1 tbsp
Vegetable oil
½ cup
chopped onion
1 tbsp
Chopped garlic
1 tbsp
Chipped ginger
½ tsp
Red pepper flakes
1 cup
Bok choy, (stems chopped and green thinly sliced) I used 2 small baby bok choy to limit left overs
2 cup
Mushrooms, stems removed and chopped (you can use any type, I used cremini)
Dash
Salt
1 pkg
Wonton wrappers

Vegetable oil for frying, if you do not have a deep fryer available you will need enough to fill a heavy high-sided pan or wok with 2 inches of oil


Heat vegetable oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes until softened. Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes for about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute. Add bok choy and salt; sauté until softened.  Cool to room temperature.
Batch one in my wee deep fryer
Have on hand a small bowl with water.  Lay wonton wrappers a few at a time on the counter. Spoon about 1 tsp (probably slightly less) of filling onto the middle of the wrapper. Using your finger, moisten the edges of wrapper and fold in half to form a triangle, sealing the edges.  Then, moisten one of the corners and bring the two furthest corners together in the middle and pinch to seal.  Continue working until you have used all the filling. Place wontons on a tray and cover with plastic wrap until ready to cook.
Heat oil over medium high heat in wok, high sided pan or deep fryer. Working in batches as to not over crowd the pan, fry the wontons for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crisp.  Drain on paper towels and serve with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce
Hot and Tasty!
Note: I did make this sauce and it was well received but I think I can find something better.  I will post when I find something.  Honestly, Thai Chili Sauce, Plum Sauce or another Asian sauce that you can get at the grocery store would also work.
½ cup
Hoisin sauce
½ cup
Soy sauce
1 tbsp
Sesame oil
1/tbsp
Grated ginger

Stir in a small bowl and serve.
 ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment