Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Fajitas and Guacamole


Just assemble and enjoy!

Fajitas are so easy that I am almost embarrassed to be putting this up here but I also have a pet peeve. My peeve is all the pre-fabbed Mexican food that you get at the grocery store.  Have you read the ingredient list on those packages? Trust me you don’t want to, there is scary stuff in there.  I know, I know you are thinking but it is so easy and a great stand by.  But go back to my first sentence – there are so easy, not to mention low fat, and yummy. They are probably kid friendly too but I don’t have kids so I am not able to testify.  I do have a husband and a cousin that I frequently feed and so far no complaints. So if you are like me and have made the traditional New Year’s resolution to get in shape and lose weight this might be something to throw in the cycle.  One of the things that Geoff and I lie to do is “Fun Food Friday” – the night to have more “junky” food. This is a dish I have occasionally made but to be honest pizza and wings are requested more often than not.
I have added a recipe for “Sassy Spicy Salsa” in December so I am not going to bother to repeat but I am will give you ideas for fajitas and, since it would not be great without it, guacamole. (PS. I was very excited to see that the avocados for $1 each today!) Depending on your preference you can also add some sour cream, grated cheddar cheese.  Any tortillas will work. I recommend warming the shells (wrap in foil and heat for 5-6 minutes in a 350F oven).
Guacamole
1
Avocado
¼ cup
Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp
Minced Onion
2 tbsp
Chopped cilantro
1 tsp
Chilli powder
2 tbsp
Lime juice

NOTE: To choose an avocado, choose one that will give a little when you gently squeeze.  You can buy one that is harder a day or so before you want to eat it at they will ripen on the counter.  If you have not tried to peel an avocado then you can do a little research to find videos on YouTube and lots of directions!
Roughly mash the avocado in a bowl, leaving it a little chunky. Add tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chilli powder and lime juice. Stir
ENJOY!
Fajitas
6-8
Tortillas
1 ½ lbs
Steak, Chicken, Pork,
2 tsp
Vegetable oil
1 tsp
Garlic (more or less to taste)
1
Green pepper, cut in to julienned slices
1
Red pepper, cut in to julienned slices
1 med
Onion, cut in to julienned slices
1 tsp
Cumin (more or less to taste)
1 tbsp
Chilli powder (more or less to taste)

Salt and Pepper, to taste


In a large skillet, heat oil on a med-high heat.  Add oil and garlic to pan and heat for about 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant. Add steak and cook until browned and mostly cooked. Add peppers and onion to the pan and sauté until slightly soft. Add cumin, chilli, salt and pepper. Cover and let steam for about 5-6 minutes (hey the exact same time as you need to warm the tortillas in a 350F oven).
Build your fajita by layering steak/chicken/pork and peppers on a warm tortilla with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, salsa and, of course, your home made guacamole.
ENJOY!!!

2 comments:

  1. that looks sooo good
    sugar just

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds excellent and easy! Going to try it...

    ReplyDelete