Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

St. Pierre Adventures

I have been away on vacation to Newfoundland as I have not been cooking for myself; I have not been doing the occasional update on my culinary adventures.  TO be honest, I have actually missed it. That being said, while we were in Newfoundland we made the trek over the Burin Peninsula to go to St. Pierre.  I am a little ashamed to admit that I have never been to this little piece of France that resides a mere 25 km off shore from Newfoundland.  And for someone who so enjoys food, and the “joie de vive” that the French seem to have made a national motto, not getting there was just wrong. 
With camera in hand, I took pictures of the food.  Every time food was placed before me is was just so beautiful.  Presentation to the French is so important. It is part of the experience.  This is not something that I have placed a great deal of thought, focusing more on the taste, texture, flavour combinations, and, even, wine pairing. I have been inspired by this experience and this will be my next area of focus at my table – probably not for every day meals but for the meals that I put in that extra special effort for guests.
Here are a few photos from my last trip that you might enjoy. 
Newman Wine Vaults - delicious Port and Nationally proected mould (found only here and Oporto, Portugal).


Hazlenut Mousse with Tea

Orange Mousse with Coffee

Even a simple cheese omlette and croissant looks delicious...and it was!

Buried underneath this lemon pastry is the most flaky croissant! YUMMM. But you MUST get to the bakery early as they will all be gone well before 8am.  I really wanted chocolate croissants but the person in front of me got the last ones.  I did not resort to violence but it was tempting.

What are the treasures in your community? 
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment