Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dry Aged Beef - Part 2


The end result

I was so excited last night when I pulled the first of 2 roasts out of the fridge. It was on Sept 13th that I placed the roasts in to begin my “dry aged beef” experiment.  I was nervous that I was doing a “at home botulism kits” and would end up throwing out some very expensive meat.
There was a little pomp and circumstance to getting everything ready at the beginning:
·         Getting the meat
·         Washing the meat
·         Wrapping the meat in cheesecloth
·         Monitoring the temperature in the little bar fridge
·         Figuring out how to lessen the temperature swings (approximately 10F swing)
o   Solution add stuff to the fridge
·         Resisting the temptation to open the fridge. This was probably the hardest and if you have ever going camping in a tent or soft sided camper in the rain AND have been told to not touch the side, you know what I am talking about.
I did take the meat out a couple of times to re-wrap it so the cheesecloth did not stick to the roast and to take a sniff to make sure that it was smelling like prosciutto and not sulphur! Then popped it back in to wait a little more.

With the arrival of Matt and Ruth last night meant just the right reason to pull out the first of the roasts.  And it was wonderful! I trimmed it up just taking off the outer layer of the most dried meat revealing delicious tender roasts with concentrated flavour.  

We are all alive and kicking this morning having enjoyed a wonderful steakhouse meal together – salad (a la Ruth), beef, roasted sweet potato fries and mushrooms and onions. Shout out to my husband who did a great job on the grill!

Phew! No one is dead and I have proven that for at least 14 days you can age beef in a bar fridge in a kitchen...with one piece left, let’s see if I can do it for 28+. Ben arrives in soon and there is beef on the menu!



After 14 days in the fridge the meat has dried on the outside


Trimming off the dried portions


Ready for the BBQ.  I opted to cut into 2 large steaks, enough to feed 4-6 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment