Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti

Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti
There are some times when I just like to try out a new technique or a dish that I have enjoyed many times but never made.  Last weekend was one of those times.  I was at Starbucks getting a delightful coffee and needed a little “treat” to go with it – Biscotti was in the case, which got me thinking about giving this a whirl.  I had tried biscotti in the past but really was not thrilled with the result so I decided to try them again.  This recipe is abridged from Canadian Living and they are good enough to suggest some other ways to make them which I will include at the end. 
A couple of lessons from this experience...first, you really do need at least 2 cookie sheets or let the cookie sheet cool completely before you move to the bake them a second time stage. Also, let them cool not quite to room temperature but close otherwise they will crumble when you try to slice them.  I did this and ended up letting my husband eat the spoiled ones – he was happy but I was annoyed! And this is a situation when the butter is best at room temperature.  Finally, melt the left over chocolate chips and drizzle over the cookies. This uses up the left over chocolate chips, which if I leave them around I will eat straight from the bag, and it make them look pretty.
 I really liked this recipe and with some variations available I may actually make these for some Christmas baskets that I normally do for friends (shhhh.... Don’t tell them)!
½ cup
Butter (room temperature)
1 cup
Sugar                                      
3
Eggs
1 tsp
Vanilla
2 cup
Flour
2/3 cup
Cocoa powder  (sifted to get rid of lumps)
1 ½ tsp
Baking powder
¼ tsp
Salt
1 cup
Blanched whole almonds
1/2 cup
Milk chocolate chips (plus more for melting and drizzling)



In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture all at once stirring just until combined. Stir in almonds and ½ cup chocolate chips.
Divide dough in half; with floured hands, shape each half into a log about 12 inches long. Place, about 4 inched apart, on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet, flatten until about 3 inches wide, leaving top slightly rounded.
Bake at centre of oven at 325F for about 30 minutes until firm. Let cool on pan for 15 minutes (Canadian Living said 10 minutes but that was not long enough, in my opinion).  Transfer to a cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut into 1/2 – 1 inch (depending on personal preference) thick slices. Stand slices upright on a baking sheet. Return to oven; bake for 30-40 minutes until dry and crisp. Let cool on racks.
Once cool, melt about 1 cup of remaining chocolate chips.  Using a fork, drizzle chocolate over biscotti. Place in fridge to cool for 15 minutes.

Variations.....
1.       Straight Almond...lose the cocoa powder and increase flour to 2 ¾ cups and when you put in the vanilla also add 1 tsp almond extract.
2.       Cherry/Blueberry/Cranberry Almond...decrease almonds to ½ cup; add ¾ cup of dried cherries, blueberries or cranberries (I would probably not do the blueberry, as I have not enjoyed the dried blueberries that I bought but that is a personal choice and product problem)
3.       Other Nuts...got no almonds, got no problem...try hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts or shelled pistachios; replace almond extract with additional vanilla!

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment