Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tiramisu

The Italians have offered many things to the world – philosophy, art, mathematics, etc... but one of the best things they have given is the very simple dessert of Tiramisu. According to Wikipedia it literally means “pick me up”. And who could not be picked up by the combination of a little coffee, a little cookie, a little booze and a lot of mascarpone cheese!
Over the years I have tried several recipes for Tiramisu and I think this is possibly the easiest and best – some had too much booze (it may have been my heavy hand but I am blaming the recipe), other not the right balance of flavours.  This one came from the Oprah Magazine Cookbook, which I picked up at Winner for $6.99! A steal with many great ideas.
Here are a couple of hints if you decide to try this recipe. First, I would not worry too much about not having espresso on hand.  I have used coffee with a little extra instant coffee thrown in.  You can get packages of 48 Lady Fingers which are about 1” by  4” and you will need about 21 per layer for a total of 42, leaving a few for snacking. I add this little note about the number you will need as I paniced and thought that I did not have enough half way through. So I sent Geoff out to get more while I continued to assemble only to realize first that I had plently and second that Geoff forgot his cell so I was not able to tell him to abort the mission. Alas, I am all set for the next time I get a hankering for this tasty treat. 
When you are brushing the fingers with the espresso, I normally do this over the bowl and brush both sides before placing them in the pan. This makes clean up a little easier and you can easily get both sides without drowning them. This is a perfect make ahead dessert as the longer your leave it the better it is.

Tiramisu
5 eggs
Separated
1 cup
Sugar
3 tbsp
Brandy
1 pound
Mascarpone, at room temperature
2 tbsp
Coffee liqueur (eg. Kahlua)
1 cup
Espresso, chilled
1 tbsp
Cocoa powder
14 oz
Lady fingers


With and electric mixer, beat the yolks, sugar and 1 tbsp of brandy until sugar dissolves. Beat in the mascarpone, and set aside the mixture until refrigerated.
Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold the egg whites in to the mascarpone mixture.
Add the coffee liqueur and 2 tbsp of brandy to the espresso.
Spread 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish, and dust lightly with cocoa powder. Next generously brush the lady fingers with espresso and lay enough of them side by side to cover the mascarpone. Repeat with a second layer of one third of the mascarpone, a dusting of the cocoa powder and more lady fingers. Top with the remaining 1/3 of the mascarpone and dust with remaining cocoa powder. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment