Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ginger Cake

Ginger Cake always reminds me of the fall.  It definitely has the feeling of being home, curled up with a good book, cup of tea and, naturally, a slice of Ginger Cake with some whipped cream or ice cream.  It might be that the summer has reached the half way point, or maybe it is the “Back to School” sales but I am already looking forward to crisp days and the change of the trees. I know! It is sad and there is probably medication for that!

I make this recipe all the time, maybe a little too often but it is so easy and has never failed me.  If I remember correctly, this is another recipe that I have “borrowed” from a restaurant YEARS ago. This time it was Classic Café in St. John’s ( http://classiccafeeast.com/?page_id=2) and it still is on the menu!  If you ever find yourself in St. John’s check out this restaurant, they do a mean breakfast.    

Note: I don’t like raisins. Never have, never will. It is a texture thing. I have tried and will eat them in choice company, but you will know when we are good friends as I will pick them out and offer them to you! Thank goodness I am not Oprah otherwise I would have the California Raisins chasing me.  All of that being said, if you like raisins/currants throw in a handful, even a little crystallized ginger will also add a little fun.


Ginger Cake
½  cup
Butter
½ cup
Packed Brown Sugar
1
Egg
1 cup
Fancy Molasses
1 cup
Hot Water
2 ½ cup
Flour
2 tbsp
Ground Ginger
1 ½ tsp
Baking Soda
1 tsp
Cinnamon
½ tsp
Salt
¼ tsp
Each ground cloves and nutmeg


Grease and flour 10 inch Bundt pan or 9 inch tube pan; set aside.

In a bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy, then beat in egg.  Blend in molasses and hot water until combined. Let cool for 10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, stir into molasses mixture until combined.  Scrape batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 300C about 50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.  Let cool on rack for 20 minutes.  Serve warm or let cool.

I like to dust with a little icing sugar when cooled but a lovely cream cheese icing can do the job.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment