Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Chickpea with Feta and Mint

I did not really grow up eating legumes as part of our regular diet. Lots of other vegetables, mostly root veggies, but not the lowly legume.  I have to admit I have grown to love them. They are so versatile and offer lots of opportunity to add lots of seasoning – from hearty chilli to this light lemony salad I have included below. Not to mention, they are very high in protein and fibre.  The lemon and mint makes this another wonderful summer salad. It is very easy and I often have all the ingredients on hand – with the exception of “stealing” mint from my neighbours herb garden (sorry guys)!
I am a food/home magazine junkie and I love to find recipes in them. I frequently pick up Food Network, Fine Cooking, Gourmet, Canadian Living, and Chatelaine,. I think this one was torn from the pages of House and Home, although I cannot be sure as the page does not identify the magazine. I have made this and not included the parsley and it was still great.  If you are just being exposed to chickpeas just half the recipe the first time.  I have also used the dressing on tossed salads.
It can be made the day before, just toss well to coat before serving. I think it is actually better on day 2 or 3, if it lasts that long!
Chickpeas with Feta and Mint

Finely grated zest of half a lemon
3 tbsp
Lemon juice
½ tsp
Salt

Pepper (to taste)
1/3 cup
Olive oil
2 cans
Chickpeas (398 ml)
1 small
Red onion, finely chopped
1 small
Clove garlic, finely minced
¾ cup
Crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup
Parsley, finely chopped
20
Leaves fresh mint, very finely sliced


In a medium salad bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Slowly whisk in olive oil. Add chickpeas, onion, garlic, feta, parsley and mint. Stir well to combine.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment