Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Peach Cobbler

Since I started this blog, I have had a number of family and friends share their favorite recipes. I see this as privilege and an honor to be able to share this with those who using this blog as a way to find inspiration for their own Culinary Adventures.  I share the recipes as I make them so that I can make my own comments and take a few photos to add to the blog.  The challenge is that I don’t always get them up as fast as they come in. In an ideal world I would not have a day job and I would have a small army of people wandering through the house to eat all that I create. Alas, a girl can dream!
Diane sent me this recipe about 2 months ago and I really wanted to make this before peach season came to a close but needed to have an occasion to make it. Today was that day.  My artist step-son, Ben (http://thebenclarkson.com/?cat=3) is in the house and needs to be spoiled just a little.  Peach Cobbler is definitely a comfort food.
Thanks so much Diane for sharing and Ben and Geoff for eating!

Peach Cobbler ala Diane Dalton, Inspired by Paula Deen

Preheat oven to 350
You will need a 3 quart baking dish (9 X 13 inches)
4 cups
peaches, peeled and sliced
2 cups
sugar (separated 1 cup each)
1/2 cup
Water
8 tsp
Butter
1 1/2 cup
SELF RISING flour  ( I did manage to find self rising flour in the grocery store, but if you cannot find it you can use 1 ½ cup flour, 2 tsp baking soda and, a heaping ¼ tsp salt)
1 1/2 cup
Milk

Cinnamon Sugar Topping (optional)
1 ½ tsp
Cinnamon
1 tsp
Nutmeg
1 tsp
zest of an orange or lemon
1/4 cup
sanding sugar (large grain sugar) or 1 /8 regular granulated sugar

Place peaches, 1 cup of sugar and water in a saucepan, mix well and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes

Melt butter in baking dish in the oven while preparing batter

Mix remaining sugar (1 cup), flour and milk SLOWLY to prevent clumping. Batter will be very thin

Remove baking pan from the oven, pour batter slowly into the pan do not stir. Spoon peaches on top of the batter gently pouring the syrup over the fruit (I only use half the syrup because I add a sugar topping)

If not using cinnamon sugar topping sprinkle fruit with cinnamon to taste.

Bake for 35-45 minutes batter will rise up through the fruit.

I used a cinnamon topping which I sprinkled over the top of the cobbler at about 25/35 minutes and put it back in for 10 minutes.

Best served warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or just as it is.
Keep the recipes coming!
ENJOY!
Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven - wish there was scratch and sniff!

So yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment