Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

Dry Aged Beef - Part 3

My experiment in dry aging beef is now over.  We tucked into the last piece 22 days after it started its journey in my little bar fridge.  I had hoped to go to 30 days but when I checked on it the prosciutto smell was being replaced by something slightly more “lemony”, which from what I had learned from my guy at the “Five Dot Ranch” in Napa, California was not a good thing. 

I have learned a number of things from this experience
·         There are things that are worth the wait.  I was quite surprised at how letting the meat age this way made it more tender and savoury. The flavour of the beef really becomes concentrated as time progresses. 
·         Get good equipment.  The little fridge that we have is probably better suited to keeping beer cold in a dorm room than aging beef for up to 40 days.   The temperature can swing and thus never gets consistently low enough for longer term aging. Up to 14 days is perfect but after that it can be a little sketchy. I am going to check the temperature consistency in our regular fridge with regular use.  It is currently set at 3C, so I am optimistic that if we place it in the back of the fridge and time it right we should be good to go.
·         Fancy food can be more about patience than other value.  I know most people are not a silly as I am to try such a thing but it is worth the effort if you have a special meal that you are planning. And it can be done with equipment at home.
·         Keep an eye on your guest list. People will want to be invited over if you start pulling things like this off the grill. And when you realize you have not intentionally left people out, just remember there is always a next time.

The last 2 pieces

Grilling


No comments:

Post a Comment